Memorial Stadium/Bob Cunningham Field
Memorial Stadium has been "Home of the Wildcats" since 1931 when the college purchased 11 acres of land for athletic fields. The grandstand was constructed in 1933. The stadium was officially designated Memorial Stadium in 1944 following World War II in honor of the Wayne State students who served in the war. Bob Cunningham Field was named in 1993 for the Wayne State three-sport Hall of Fame standout (1936-39).
The press box was built at the time of the grandstand construction, with a second level being added in 1969. A remodeling project to the press box was completed in 2005.
The main stadium has seating for 2,500 fans and has a natural grass surface. In 1992, a message board was installed along with a new crown and irrigation system to the playing surface. An improved scoreboard was installed in 1995.
Bob Cunningham Field saw major changes occur in 2003 as a new eight-lane running track was put in along with new restrooms and storage facilities along the southwest corner of the stadium. New lights were also installed during the extensive remodeling project. Named the Bebee Entrance Plaza, the new restroom and storage area features heated restrooms that are handicapped accessible. Cunningham Field hosted the 2006 Northern Sun Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships and will host the 2008 Northern Sun Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships on May 9-10, 2008.
To obtain directions to Wayne State College, Click here.